Dave2 said in July 22nd, 2009 at 12:42 am

And yet… I wonder if I will be coming back here in six months to read that your replacement boss is a total nightmare and has you longing for the good ol’ “Scott Days.” :-D

No matter what the case may be, things can always be better or worse. It’s just a matter of degrees.

And perspective.

Oh well. I certainly wish you the best of luck post-Scott. :-)
.-= Dave2´s last blog ..Moon =-.

kapgar said in July 22nd, 2009 at 7:57 am

Many, at an old job, the boss gave us the old “office morale is not my concern” bullshit speech. That shit pissed me off to no end and I lost complete respect for this person. They never earned it back.
.-= kapgar´s last blog ..I want to ride it where I like… =-.

Finn said in July 22nd, 2009 at 9:48 am

It’s OK not to like someone, even when they’re dead.

My thoughts are with his family.

Sybil Law said in July 22nd, 2009 at 11:43 am

Scott sounds like a complete type A personality.
His poor family, though. 54 is so young!
.-= Sybil Law´s last blog ..Can’t we all just get along?!!! =-.

Sheila (Charm School Reject) said in July 22nd, 2009 at 12:42 pm

Well, at least you didn’t laugh. Not that *I* have ever laughed when, for example, I found out my evil high school gym teacher died. And I most definitely did not say “That s.o.b had a heart?!”

::ahem::

Not me.
.-= Sheila (Charm School Reject)´s last blog ..Just Another Day =-.

Fantastagirl said in July 22nd, 2009 at 11:08 pm

I hope that *Scott*’s replacement is easier to work for and knows what is important in the office setting. Some people just aren’t meant to be the boss.

at 54 i feel bad for his family – I hope their friends and family will be there for them.
.-= Fantastagirl´s last blog ..and then time ran out =-.

Faiqa said in July 23rd, 2009 at 11:03 am

Good for you for keeping it real. I’ve always marveled at humankind’s ability to whitewash over the negative traits of a person when they pass away. As if death is an expiation for all of our past sins. For better or worse, the way we treat others, the effect we have upon the world and the way we live is eternal. Death, to me, is the cutoff for making amends, not necessarily the event that makes it all OK.
.-= Faiqa´s last blog ..37 Weeks and Counting: A Bullet Post =-.

Shelli said in July 24th, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Here’s me being analytical: I think he was an unhappy person who had to surround himself with “things” and exaggerate his importance to people. I feel bad for his family, though.
.-= Shelli´s last blog ..Happy Birthday to You, Happy Birthday to You… =-.

shiny said in July 25th, 2009 at 5:36 pm

Dave2: Thanks. I guess we’ll see what happens post-Scott. My fear is that Scott’s temporary replacement (someone who worked under Scott but now is acting in Scott’s position) doesn’t really know how to drive the department. It’s going to be a long couple of weeks before we get back into a swing of things.

kapgar: Yeah, it seems like this is a similar situation. Although his attitude changed a bit. Probably due to a talking-to from the folks upstairs…

Finn: You hit it right on the head, I think. I do, however, feel for those who were close to him and lost someone dear.

Sybil Law: Not sure how Type A he was — I think he was trying to aim there but became distracted too easily. But yes — very young with a young family. And that’s sad.

Sheila (CSR): Of course not you! Must have been your twin sister. Yeah, that’s it…

Fantastagirl: Apparently the memorial service was very well attended by people from work and from his community. I think that’s a good thing; his family is getting quite a bit of support during these tough times.

Faiqa: I agree — but I’d also like to think that these kids and his widow have some wonderful memories of the good that they’ll hold on to.

Shelli: Right on the nose. I was speaking with a co-worker who mentioned that Scott had bragged about how he would bike X miles a day — something which, perhaps, was attainable but not something which usually happened when one was inundated with on-call issues all the time. It makes me wonder how happy he actually was with the things he accomplished…