whall said in April 27th, 2009 at 6:56 am

You know, I had a similar experience. This one time, when a blogger whose blog I commented on didn’t return the favor and comment on my blog in return, I just got so MAD. I even hacked into his blog and posted some pretty racy and insensitive stuff. He ended up getting fired from his job because his boss found his blog and saw the stuff I wrote. I figure the world just works the way it does.

I know I shouldn’t be airing our blogger dirty laundry in front of everyone, but you know, I get so mad sometimes.

Sybil Law said in April 27th, 2009 at 8:23 am

Wow! That is pretty nutty! In fact, Ned sounds pretty nutty. He’s got some severe repression going on. I think he likes the headscarved lady, but she won’t give him the time of day. Because she knows he’s a nut.
I hate when anyone, much less some employee at a store, gives me TMI. I usually just look at them like they’re stupid, and go away.
But Ned sounds… “special”. Not sure I’d actually speak to the manager, but then again… wow… Ned is nutty! Yeah – speak to the manager…

Hilly said in April 27th, 2009 at 8:36 am

I know that I am the *only* person who is going to say what I am about to say but what the hell…I’ll still say it.

I would do nothing.

While I am a lot like you and believe that customer service should have a high standard, I also realize that this just isn’t always the case. I’ve also got to believe that if Ned was so forthcoming about his “issues” with you, then the team and management at the store are probably already aware of said issues. You said he’s been there for a long long time, right? I mean, certainly this isn’t Ned’s first disco…I’m sure he’s been mad at himself before. Also, is Ned slow? He seems like he might be slow.

In any case, think about this long and hard. Are you really sure you would be helping him by talking to the manager? Would he lose his job? Would you just be doing it because you received shitty service when you are a stickler for good service?

I’m not saying I know the answer to those questions…I’m just saying to think about them.

Hilly said in April 27th, 2009 at 8:37 am

LOL @ Sybil – you thought the same thing I did…about Ned being “special”!

Janelle said in April 27th, 2009 at 9:29 am

“One Hour Photo” with Robin Williams is all I’m saying. If you haven’t seen it, you should. Yes, I would totally tell the manager.

Now if he was just bragging about his awesome red stapler (like I do daily) because he such a fan of Office Space, that would be one thing. But he wasn’t.

Again: One Hour Photo… before you know it, he will have a wall of photos of you and your family with some spot light type thing.

Be careful out there in the harsh, harsh, aisle of the supermarket. Just start caring a gun.

Janelles last blog post..Almost As Good As Winning the Lottery!

shiny said in April 27th, 2009 at 9:44 am

@whall: I had no idea you and Dooce were so close!

@Sybil: Nutty is a good word for it. As for “special” as you and Hilly both mentioned? Not sure I would go that far. Perhaps he doesn’t have the same social graces to the extent of others in his position. But he seems cordial enough.

@Hilly: I’ve been wrestling with this a bit: should I mention something or not? There are certainly some good points regarding just dismissing the situation for now (although if it becomes a pattern of behavior the next time I come back I would certainly assess differently). People sometimes lose jobs over stuff like this — and I certainly don’t want that to happen. Furthermore, there is that chance that, after a talking to, there would be more of an awkward exchange with Ned any subsequent time that I got him as the cashier for our meds. And as quirky as Ned is, this could have simply been a bad day for him.

On the other hand, he really did go on for a while here. If it were one (or even two) out-of-place remarks, I would immediately brush it off. But he just wouldn’t stop. And yes, I felt a bit uncomfortable. And I’m one with a pretty thick skin. I suppose I’m looking for a way to alert management that there may be potential for something more volatile from an experience I’ve seen.

I haven’t made the phone call yet. What if I were to simply send a vague note saying that one of the pharmacy cashiers (without giving any details about Ned specifically) seemed to be very agitated and it came across as a bit creepy to me as a customer? And that, perhaps, it might be a good idea to keep an eye out for any general frustrations that may be customer facing?

Anyone? I’m still looking for feedback; please let me know what you think.

@Janelle: The photo processing folks are in a different part of the store. But his glasses? Strangely similar to those of a blonde Robin Williams…

And carrying a loaded gun in Giant Food is ludicrous. This isn’t WalMart…

Hilly said in April 27th, 2009 at 9:56 am

I’d probably wait to see if it was a pattern, but that’s just how *I* handle things. You should do what is right for you, of course. If I were to even say a thing, it would be the general comment but then, the manager might grill you for who over and over again until you crack. You know how they are dogs with a bone sometimes when it comes to that stuff.

“Mr. T, I can’t really fix this unless I know which specific member of the team it was”.

Hillys last blog post..Snackie Sunday #109: Sophie’s Choice For Dummies…

B.E. Earl said in April 27th, 2009 at 10:40 am

“Ned… Ryerson. “Needlenose Ned”? “Ned the Head”? C’mon, buddy. Case Western High. I did the whistling belly-button trick at the high school talent show? Bing. Ned Ryerson, got the shingles real bad senior year, almost didn’t graduate? Bing, again. Ned Ryerson, I dated your sister Mary Pat a couple of times until you told me not to anymore? Well?”

Love that scene and that actor!

B.E. Earls last blog post..Egg Drop Wonton Soup

Finn said in April 27th, 2009 at 11:55 am

I second Hilly. Unless it’s a pattern I’d just leave it alone for now.

Finns last blog post..Because I Look Good In Green. Or Something.

hello haha narf said in April 27th, 2009 at 9:05 pm

we all have bad days. and i am totally guilty of crossing the professional / friends line when i should stay professional.

soooo, if you were really, really uncomfortable and creeped out then you should be specific to ned’s manager, however if you think you can handle seeing how your next encounter goes, i think you should wait.

hello haha narfs last blog post..Try

bubblewench said in April 28th, 2009 at 12:07 pm

Hate to say it, I’m kinda w/Hilly… I wouldn’t say anything unless there was a 2nd incident.

I recently had a similar situation with a co-worker, guess what, anonymous my ass.. dudes gone…. AND it made things VERY uncomfortable for me for awhile…

You like your pharmacy.. just avoid him for a bit, and if you can’t.. and something happens.. maybe write a letter?

yankeebird said in April 28th, 2009 at 1:41 pm

I seem to be in the minority – I’d say something. I got called out once for unprofessional behavior when I was a teenager, and it made me a better employee at that job and every job after. I learned my lesson. My boss did not fire me, and it seems unlikely Ned would get fired over one incident. I wouldn’t worry about that. His behavior is out of line, and as you said, he may say something to someone not quite so understanding. By saying something now, and giving Ned’s manager an opportunity to deal with it out of preventative concern, you could be doing Ned a favor before he pisses someone off and is in serious trouble.

My only concern would be for you in that when Ned’s boss speaks to him, Ned may figure out which customer the boss is speaking of, and then you’ll probably never want to go in again when Ned is working.

Karen Sugarpants said in April 28th, 2009 at 6:50 pm

Okay first, I totally imagined Robin Williams in that movie about the Photo dude.
Secondly, I wouldn’t do anything. I’m lazy and I don’t care. Seriously. I’m not even kidding.

Karen Sugarpantss last blog post..Unlikely Friends

Karen Sugarpants said in April 28th, 2009 at 6:52 pm

aaaand then I read your comments…lol! Guess I wasn’t the only one who thought of RW. Also, what if you say something and he messes with your drugs? If you think he’s touched, wait till you rat him out for his anger.

Karen Sugarpantss last blog post..Unlikely Friends

Karen Sugarpants said in April 30th, 2009 at 3:18 pm

so what did you do? inquiring minds are nosy f*ckers.

Karen Sugarpantss last blog post..Here’s the Thing: Sex Edu-ma-cation

whall said in April 30th, 2009 at 10:03 pm

@shiny I just thought I’d remind you that I haven’t seen you over at my blog in a while…