Okay, guys. Is this seriously too difficult?
Yeah. maybe it is. In hindsight, I can see how asking you to identify eight snippets of songs played on top of each other could be tricky. Maybe I thought it was a piece of cake because I created the snippets and knew what to listen for. But apparently it was so tough that nobody really gave it a serious listen. And nobody gave it a serious guess as to what the eight songs were.
Which is why I decided to divide the task in half — and ask you all to identify two sets of four snippets of songs played on top of each other yesterday. And I appreciate the answers that you all came up with:
- Simple Minds – Don’t You Forget About Me (Janelle)
- Whitney Houston – The Greatest Love of All (Janelle)
- Eddie Money – I Wanna Go Back (Janelle)
- Steve Perry – Oh Sherry (YankeeBird)
- Yes – Owner of a Lonely Heart (B. E. Earl)
- Prince and the Revolution – I would Die 4 U (B. E .Earl)
All good guesses. But only one of the songs above was included in my little snippet collage.
I’ve concluded a few things about this little exercise:
- I’m a smarmy game-show host type of person. Kind of like Alex Trebek when he pretends to know all of the answers because he has the card in his hands. And when he does, he uses that prissy little accent. I feel a bit like Alex Trebek. And I hereby don’t blame you for wanting to beat me up.
- I obviously don’t have a prize worthy of people trying harder at my little games. The economy has hit us all quite hard, apparently. I’m looking around my office, and I suppose I could send the winner a dead cel phone from 2003 if s/he wanted it. But aside from that? Not so much of value…
- Nobody has commented about my inclusion of OGG files for each of these snippets. This is the first time that I’m including OGG as an option for download. Although OGG is an open source music format (unlike the commercial MP3 format), I decided to include it just so I could type the word “OGG.”
So here’s the deal — I’m going to make things very easy for those of you who are curious as to what was on my list of random 80s songs in the first place: I’m going to repost the original 3-second snippet of eight songs:
… and I’m going to repost yesterday’s addition: two three-second snippets of four songs apiece:
… and now? I’ll slice each of those in half. FOUR three-second snippets, each consisting of a whopping two songs:
There. This should make things slightly easier. Attainable, even.
Please, please, please, please, please don’t make me do eight snippets of one song tomorrow. Or sixteen snippets of a half of a song the next day. So far, this experiment has cost me almost 300 kB in valuable disk space on my host, and I only have about 5.8 GB left.
(Besides — converting audio files to OGG can be a real pain.)