Karl said in January 16th, 2009 at 11:57 pm

Wait, you have a tape deck in your car? You ARE still in 1988!

Karls last blog post..My Doctor is Not Tawny Kitaen

Sarah said in January 17th, 2009 at 1:54 am

I haven’t listened to an actual radio station in years.

In fact I don’t think I even know how to find one in my car anymore.

Sarahs last blog post..Quiet

Kate said in January 17th, 2009 at 9:35 am

First of all, “Get Out of My Dreams, Get Into My Car” is a GREAT song! I used to dance to it when I was 12.

Second of all, yes, 80’s music DOES suck. It sucked in the 80’s, and it sucks even more now.

And lastly, I’m not sure if you’re aware of this, but your iPhone is also something called an “iPod”. This magical device allows you to store songs you actually like in a digital format and carry them with you. It comes in very handy when you’re stuck in traffic and everything on the radio sucks.

Oh and don’t feel bad, I still have a tape deck in my car too. 🙂

Kates last blog post..Guilt

India Route Map said in January 17th, 2009 at 9:59 am

Even I love my ipod it just is fun to have what ever be the matter. While on my drive it keeps me off the dumb radio programs that go on air these days .

Sybil Law said in January 17th, 2009 at 12:53 pm

That, indeed, would suck the life out of me. In 1988 I was too much of a hippie wanna- be, so I don’t even know most of those songs!
And Hi, Shiny! 🙂

whall said in January 18th, 2009 at 12:16 am

We have BOB FM. Plays great awesome music from 70s 80s 90s and a little bit of 00s. Just plain good music.

Here’s an actual sample of the songs they just played

8:14 PM “KYRIE” – MR MISTER
8:10 PM “ROCK ‘N ME” – STEVE MILLER BAND
8:05 PM “IN THE AIR TONIGHT” – PHIL COLLINS
8:02 PM “ROCK AND ROLL BAND” – BOSTON
7:59 PM “TOM’S DINER” – DNA F / SUZANNE VEGA
7:55 PM “DON’T SPEAK” – NO DOUBT
7:51 PM “GO YOUR OWN WAY” – FLEETWOOD MAC
7:47 PM “KISS ON MY LIST [LONG VERSIO” – HALL & OATES
7:44 PM “ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST” – QUEEN
7:33 PM “D’YER MAK’ER” – LED ZEPPELIN

Right?

RIGHT?!!?!?!?!

whalls last blog post..I’ll take “impressive SharePoint people” for $1000, Alex

shiny said in January 18th, 2009 at 8:14 am

Karl: My roommate my senior year in college (1994) had an 8-track deck installed in his 1980s manufactured car. Ironically, he only used it for the one working 8-track album he could find — which was Led Zeppelin 4. With an MP3 player, I felt it was much easier to just keep the tape deck and use an audio-in adapter instead of upgrade.

Sarah: My problem is that I’m too much of a news junkie. And, until he moved to Satelite radio, a Howard Stern fan.

Kate: The song reminds me far too much of the movie “License to Drive” starring Coreys Haim and Feldman. *shiver*

And yes — I have a fair amount of music loaded on the iPhone. But I’ve listened to most of it already. I was looking for something new, I guess…

India Route Map: Dumb radio programming bridges all the people of the world together in solidarity. 🙂

Sybil Law: I started my hippie-wannabe phase about four years later than you.

And hi!

whall: The BOB-FM format — as well as the similar CBS Radio JACK FM — isn’t bad. I just read up a bit about BOB-FM stations around the continent, and I find it interesting that they’re not all owned by a single radio conglomerate (at least in the USA). The Austin station, for instance, is owned by Emmis Broadcasting.

Washington, DC has a Classic Rock station called “The Globe” which plays a good share of similar music, but it focuses slightly more on Classic Rock. “JACK FM” exists in Baltimore — from which I can get fair reception in most of the DC area — and plays all 80s on most weekends (unless there’s a Ravens game on).

As for the BOB list — looks like a pretty similar playlist to the Globe. Why anyone needs to hear the long version of Hall and Oates’ “Kiss Is On My List” I have no clue…