suze said in October 21st, 2008 at 7:34 am

My first reaction is: COOL!

My second is: Yet somewhat creepy.

And my third is: Can it be called stalking when you are stalking yourself? 😉

kapgar said in October 21st, 2008 at 11:25 am

No creepy factor. It’s just downright cool.

kapgars last blog post..Jump in…

Hilly said in October 21st, 2008 at 5:24 pm

I love the way you’re all excited about this. I am in the “kinda creepy” camp but you know, I’m crazy that way. 😉

Hillys last blog post..I’ll Tell You That I’m Happy If You Want Me To…

Sandi said in October 22nd, 2008 at 12:19 pm

Does your little guy like to look at himself in this image?

Looks SCARY to me. I guess I’m not a city girl!

Amanda said in October 22nd, 2008 at 6:46 pm

This looks scary please explain what you are talking about!! lol

shiny said in October 22nd, 2008 at 10:07 pm

I suppose this is a reply to everyone in the “creepy vs. cool” debate. Let me back up a bit:

I have mixed views when it comes to traffic cameras being up all over the place. I feel that they’re useful to give an accurate picture of what the real-time volume of traffic may be at any given moment. If I see that the Beltway is backed up during a certain stretch when it’s usually smooth sailing, I can use that information to make an informed choice about the route I’ll take to get from point A to point B. And with these cameras available on-demand through news websites, through trafficland.com, and now through this nifty iPhone application, I literally have this information at my fingertips.

But yes — it does become the beginning of a slippery slope. A population is getting more and more complacent about being watched by the “eye in the sky.” I know that this has become a far more pressing issue in the UK (or at least I read as much on BoingBoing). The way I see it — at least we know where these cameras are. And if I can find my way in the viewfinder of one and snap a picture using my iPhone — well, why not? It’s my tax dollars at work anyway. Thus, I don’t really find this photo as creepy as where society has taken us as a whole.

Unless the “creepy” you’re talking about the weird look on my face in the picture?

Kate said in October 23rd, 2008 at 6:07 pm

Ok, this has NOTHING to do with this blog entry, buuut…this made me think of you:

I went to high school with that girl!

Kates last blog post..Updates and “Duh” Moments

RevCathian said in October 24th, 2008 at 2:31 pm

Hey Shiny,

Love the blog. But I guess I’m joining the camp that views all the video surveillance as creepy.

A couple of years ago I was at the New Orleans Aquarium with my family, and I met a British couple who were, like me, admiring the otters. We got to talking, and I asked them what they thought about all the cameras in the UK. They said they really felt safer and better because of them. Interesting.

Have a nice day.

Rev. Cathian

martymankins said in November 3rd, 2008 at 3:50 pm

That is both cool and scary. That cameras have that much view over what we do, it gives me that many more reasons to misbehave in public. If I’m going to get caught doing something, I might as well make it worth it.

Then everyone with an iPhone will have 15 seconds of entertainment.

martymankinss last blog post..In The Final Hours