Poppy said in July 8th, 2008 at 10:30 pm

I’d recommend the Latitude series over the Inspirons just because the Lats are business-grade parts. I refuse to recommend any other brand than Dell, no matter how many bad tech support experiences I or anyone else has had.

If you’re not going Mac then get a Dell.

Thank you, and good night.

Poppys last blog post..How much longer am I obligated to do this?

Avitable said in July 8th, 2008 at 11:11 pm

I have all Dells in my house, but I know that Toshibas have recently overtaken Dells when it comes to notebook quality and tech support.

And if you custom build it – it doesn’t matter if it’s a Latitude or an Inspiron. 😛 to Poppy.

Amanda said in July 8th, 2008 at 11:13 pm

Michael Ian Black is my favorite, and then Hal Sparks

Poppy said in July 8th, 2008 at 11:17 pm

If you custom build it why the fuck bother getting a name brand?

Buy an alien box and stick awesome stuff in it.

😛 to Adam.

Poppys last blog post..How much longer am I obligated to do this?

shiny said in July 8th, 2008 at 11:53 pm

Poppy and Avitable: If were able to build a laptop on my own, I’d do it. In fact, the machine I had before this desktop was one I built. I scavenged the drives and PCI cards from my old P///. Took me a while before I could get everything working, but it was worth it for the experience.

And I’m glad I’m not alone regarding the Latitude. I even had good experiences with the Latitude C-series I used a few years back…

I learned something when reading Thomas Friedman’s The World is Flat: apparently, most Toshiba laptops on the East Coast are serviced at UPS’s headquarters by UPS employees with Toshiba training. Saves them in shipping costs and time — since the laptops’ shipping terminates at the hub.

Amanda: Hal Sparks looks a bit creepy with the long hair, but yes. He has his moments.

Avitable said in July 9th, 2008 at 7:09 am

Well, I meant custom built using Dell’s site, where you can choose the components that go into the laptop, not building it from scratch at home. Building a laptop from scratch is almost the same cost as buying one from someone, because of some of the components that go into it.

Avitables last blog post..Myocardial Infraction

perrye said in July 9th, 2008 at 11:23 am

ibm thinkpad (just acquired another one) with the start up that could be vaguely identified as zen-ish bells.

Hilly said in July 9th, 2008 at 12:26 pm

I’m going to sit down in the Dell camp while I sing songs and eat s’mores. I’ve actually had a Toshiba Satellite and while it was a fine machine, it just wasn’t as impressive as the DELL.

The DELL will last longer too…yanno, as long as you don’t drop it in a parking lot somewhere. 😉

Hillys last blog post..Absolutely Barking Stars…

Finn said in July 9th, 2008 at 1:02 pm

You lost me at Windows…

You did awesome on Cereal Wednesday.

Dessie said in July 9th, 2008 at 1:34 pm

34 years…
I’m stuck on that paragraph.

BlondeBlogger said in July 9th, 2008 at 10:13 pm

Talk about bad timing! Jester’s show froze on me and I couldn’t get back in. Can you email me? Thanks!

martymankins said in July 10th, 2008 at 10:37 am

Never, never, never… buy a DELL. If you must use a Windows laptop, HP makes some very good models. Lenovo Thinkpads are good, but hate the WiFi on them… way too complicated.

martymankinss last blog post..Scooter Sunday #12

Poppy said in July 10th, 2008 at 10:44 am

Never, NEVER buy an HP.

Anybody else wanna throw a vendor under the bus?

Avitable said in July 10th, 2008 at 10:46 am

Never, ever, buy a Doll, a Tashoba, a Howlett Peckert, or any other computer that some guy is trying to sell you out of the back of his van.

Avitables last blog post..Stagnant

shiny said in July 10th, 2008 at 10:58 am

Avitable: It say “Tashoba” on the box. But inside is Sony guts!

Avitable said in July 10th, 2008 at 11:04 am

I feel bad for you. You saw Zohan, too, didn’t you?

Poppy said in July 10th, 2008 at 11:05 am

Personally, I recommend buying Commodore 64. Sure, the connection speed is a bit slow, but then you can play M.U.L.E. and Below the Root natively!

STAY A WHILE, STAY FOREVER! MUHAHAHAHAHAA!

ahem. bye.

Winter said in July 11th, 2008 at 12:48 am

Well, if I were buying a PC laptop… I’d buy an Acer. We’ve bought 2 in the last year at the office. One is a big multimedia thing we use for presentations and movies and a bunch of crap like that. The other one we purchased for the manager who runs the 3 outside offices as well as the department that deals with the State of California’s online Death Certificate system. Omar has to have a really good laptop that doesn’t weigh a lot because at the end of the day, carrying it around from office to office, he’s tired.

My outside tech, who is a MS MVP (one of 100 people that they allow into their code), as well as a former employee of NASA, really likes the Acers this year. He and his partner carry the little 3 lb ones. I’m a fan of them. Every time I have to use either of those laptops, they impress the hell out of me. Omar loves his more than the brand new Dell he bought himself at home. He’s pissed he didn’t ask us before he purchased a couple of months before I got him the Acer at the office. They are defo worth looking into. Omar uses both the Acer at the office and the Dell and home and likes the Acer better. He’s not as much a power user as me, but he’s always dead honest in his opinions.

My last laptop was a Toshiba which I loved until it was stolen in Miami. My next one will prolly be a Mac though.

Winters last blog post..Tired of Setup

BlondeBlogger said in July 11th, 2008 at 2:04 am

Okay….dude….you, me and Amanda will have to meet at Starbucks before she heads to college. Deal? 🙂

juli said in July 12th, 2008 at 5:56 pm

Do I need to crack the whip, where are my updates? lol

Bec said in July 13th, 2008 at 10:08 pm

Oh the DELL D600 – the bane of my work life. These are the laptops they are using at my workplace at the moment. They are being replaced by Fujitsu S-Series this year though – small and lovely… well that’s what the training session said. We’ll see…

My brother, however, is dumping his Toshiba Satellite for a Sony Vaio T8300 in Blazing Red because (in his words) ‘it’s so pretty’.

Not much help I know, but at least I restrained myself from coughing out ‘Mac’ and ‘Parallels’ – you got to give me points for that? Right? 🙂

Becs last blog post..Avon Calling.