Hilly said in June 11th, 2008 at 12:26 am

As an ironic twist to my most recent post, I just want to hug you right now. I don’t think writing about this is stupid at all, or rather….that you should feel stupid. This is one of the most powerful things you’ve written and quite honestly, an amazing honor to your Mother.

Hillys last blog post..Loves Me, Loves Me Not….

katherine. said in June 11th, 2008 at 3:20 am

your mama knows you wanted to be there…even the rabbi knew you meant to be.

and it’s not stupid at all.

the story of your mama wanting to stay in the room to be supportive of those remembering shows an intelligent and compasionate character. Many people are not comfortable with death…or how others are affected by a close death.

katherine.s last blog post..commenting back

Poppy said in June 11th, 2008 at 9:53 am

Back in college I very-seriously-dated a guy whose family was pretty observantly Jewish (wow, is that a term?) and I tried my best to follow along with all the traditions but I never quite got the hang of it, which might partly have been because his parents hated me because I’m not Jewish so they never spoke to me while I was over at their house. My sweet, sweet revenge (or, his, rather) is that he is now married to a Universalist Church minister and they have two beautiful not-raised-to-be-Jewish babies together.

Do I sound bitter? I think I sound bitter.

Poppys last blog post..There is never TMI!, except maybe when I truthfully answer what I’m wearing.

Miss Britt said in June 11th, 2008 at 10:06 am

Oh honey, this was beautiful. Really.

And I hope that you make it next time on time. Not because, as you said, it’s the only time that you can remember your mom. But there is a different kind of comfort that we draw from our traditions and our faith communities. There is something about observing a tradition that you used to participate in with your loved one.

It’s healing.

Miss Britts last blog post..Reason #346 Why I Would Make An Awesome Reality TV Star:

Finn said in June 11th, 2008 at 12:38 pm

What a lovely tradition. Even with all my Jewish ties (my husband is Jewish, but me, the Irish/Italian catholic is more Jewish than he is), this is unfamiliar to me.

I’m sorry you missed it, but I’m sure your mom understands. It wasn’t your fault.

Winter said in June 12th, 2008 at 12:31 am

Sometimes, it’s what you feel in your heart that matters most. The fact that it upset you to miss this important thing that you had shared so many times in the past with your mother, tells her more about who you are as a person, than than if you had made it on time. I’m sure she is exceedingly proud of the son she raised.

Winters last blog post..Hotties Again